Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Little Perspective

Today the Lord's kindness to me was manifest in the testimony of another's heartache. We all have our own trials, and while I doubt that anyone enjoys them in the moment, I know that they do serve a purpose in our lives. I guess I am very humbled, and realize how small my seemingly large trials actually are by the witness that was borne of another's. I hesitate to share the specifics, but suffice it to say that I don't know if I have what it takes to overcome some of the challenges and burdens that are given to others to bare. It is a humbling thing--and a blessing--to realize that our trials are not that bad, and if another can endure through something much greater, than I can endure as well. I was also reminded that trials are given to all--no one is exempt. And, conversely, blessings are given to all; and strength to overcome if we but ask. If such large burdens serve no other purpose than to minimize the effect of our own smaller trials, I think they can be a blessing in and of themselves. In our mind's eye, changing the way we look at something changes the thing itself: only we decide if that's for better or worse.

2 comments:

Hillary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hillary said...

Sorry, that was me!

I have learned so much by watching other people go through hard times, and I know that the Lord sometimes does use other people as an instrument for the good of others. It's such a humbling experience to see someone going through a hardship that is far greater than what we are going through, and to see their strength through it all is such a testimony builder.