Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Long PlayDate

Wow, what a long, but fun day. Today I got a little taste of what a mom with four kids' life is like. Let me tell you, it's tiring! I think two is tiring enough, but four- you guessed it- is double! This morning I watched our good little friends, Mac and Aaron until 3pm when they got picked up by their grandma, at which time I switched and watched my friend, Jessica's two kids through the evening. There are several blessings that I have really felt today through these great kids that get to come play at our home.

The first is that each parent (or grandparent) has related to me how their kids are so excited to come to "Abbie's house" and that when they're asked who they want to watch them and where, they always want to come here. What a huge blessing and honor! I feel very blessed by this, because I want our home to be a place where people really feel welcome and want to come; especially for my kids' friends. And I hope this is due to me being such a super-fun mom, but mostly from the spirit that they hopefully feel when they are here.

I really think having these little playdates are a big blessing for my girls. Days like today are definitely long for them and they miss their usual one on one time with Mom and Dad, but it's also so great for them to have such good friends, and to build those relationships and learn social skills like sharing and taking turns and showing forgiveness in a safe and familiar environment. This is also the beginning of learning how to deal with peer pressure and influences from friends. Now, this may seem crazy since they're just toddlers and preschoolers, but I think watching good and bad examples from little friends and deciding whether it's okay or not to do, or following the rules even when someone else is breaking them is really a great life skill to learn young.

Probably the biggest blessing- that I think is close to a miracle- is naptime. Naptime with four kids doesn't seem very doable, especially when there's not enough beds or spaces for separate sleeping areas, but week after week these kids just keep amazing me. Last week they were so worn out from playing that I had all four of them napping for over two hours until it was time for them to go! Modern day miracle?- I think so! Today all but Lauren napped together as she took a long nap earlier while the big kids did crafts. This unsuspected blessing of good naptimes give me the time necessary to re-energize and be patient and fun all day.

I just really feel blessed for the opportunity I have to serve others by having their kids spend time with mine in our home. I'm not saying I'm ready for four kids of my own, but I sure love being able to play with four, and I feel very blessed that they love coming and playing here too.

No comments: