Friday, May 2, 2008

Hinckley Challenge Update

Today I completed the Hinckley Challenge by finishing The Book of Mormon in less than 97 days, and remembered President Hinckley throughout. I wanted to make sure and finish it before Drew and I left on our trip and I feel very blessed for meeting my goal. This has definitely been my best time reading it. I think there's something to be gained by reading scriptures at a faster pace; for me, the stories and events, the people and the times just really came to life. It's so much different that just reading a few verses or chapters a day, because it really links everything together. My testimony has definitely been strengthened through these last few months, and as I finished today I jsut found myself longing for more.

I also noticed that as I read, my mind was instantly pondering and anticipating how I would teach the various stories and events to my Sunday school class. Being a Sunday school teacher, which often seems like a burden too heavy me, today really felt like a great blessing, and I found myself so excited to share my excitement, enthusiasm, and testimony of the scriptures with my class.

I am so grateful for this work of scripture, which truly was written for us. It is such a blessing for us to have. As I read and ponder the lives of the great prophets of old who recorded these scriptures, it is clear to me that this is a sacred record that was preserved for us at this time, and I hope I can continue to read and reread this holy book, and apply its teachings to my life. What a blessing it is.

No comments: