Today I had a wonderful birthday. In the evening as I was enjoying a relaxing bubble bath I was thinking a lot about happiness. I think it was prompted by the phrase 'pursuit of happiness' that I picked out of the inaugural address this morning and I just kept thinking about how we all are trying to pursue happiness. I don't know if it's just me, but sometimes I really do feel like I get stuck in a rut where I'm always pursuing happiness instead of actually being happy. Does that make sense? It's like there's a moving horizon and after each phase or project or trial I tell myself that then I'll be satisfied or then I'll really be happy and then as each comes and goes there is yet another. I was thinking that maybe it shouldn't be happiness that we are pursuing after all. We should experience happiness in the moment; live it; and, while being happy pursue our eternal goals. This little conversation with myself on a happy day was a blessing for me and I hope to start choosing to be happy in the moment more often.
Perfect-Day moment
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment