Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Hard Decision

Today was a pretty rough day. Drew and I decided to give Teva back to the breeder and find a new family for her. We basically both feel like scum. We've been talking about the possibility of getting a puppy for a long time, and it was never really an option to have one only to give her back. In fact, when Drew first mentioned that he wasn't sure if we were going to be able to keep her because of his asthma and allergies I just laughed- I thought, ya right! We are absolutely not going to give her back after all that we've done to get her. But, as time went on (not very much time- we've only had her for 3 days) Drew just got worse and worse and it finally became clear that the right decision was the hard decision and that we should give her back.
I've been so emotional all day. This was something that I fought against for the longest time, but once I agreed and decided to go for it, I was ready to go for it, and so it's been a little bit of an emotional roller coaster. Drew wrote a great post on our family blog that I think really touched on a lot of the reason why we chose to do this; I guess I just want to mention a few of the blessings that we've had from this experience.

I feel so blessed to have met this little puppy and to have her as part of our family- for even such a short time. She really was so fun- a lot of work- but so fun for everyone.

I feel blessed to see my girls react so well to such a hard situation. Drew and I felt like we were going to break their little hearts, but we were very honest with them and they were so understanding. They miss their doggy, but they really do understand that it was making Daddy sick and that she's going to be with another family now.

I feel blessed to have grown even closer with Drew through this experience. Making both the decision to get Teva and to give her back really brought us closer and reminded us of how we each really just want the other to be so happy.

I feel blessed that she will be able to go to a new family, who will even have some extra food, treats, and toys etc that she's already used to, and that she will be taken care of.

I feel blessed for the atonement and for my Savior. Drew and I feel that maybe getting a puppy wasn't something that we should have done at this time, and now we know how to better rely upon the Spirit and to accept the Lord's will even if it isn't our own. I am blessed to be loved even when I make mistakes and to know that I can always learn and do better.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

That picture melted my heart.