Friday, February 22, 2008

The Hinckley Challenge

I just heard about this today and thought I would share it with anyone and everyone. President Gordon B. Hinckley of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, of which I am a member, recently passed away and in honor of his life a challenge has been extended to read The Book of Mormon in 97 days (his age when he passed away). President Hinckley loved The Book of Mormon, and bore his witness that, "The truth about the origins of the Book of Mormon will be determined today and tomorrow, as it has been throughout the yesterdays, by reading the book in a spirit of reverence and respect and prayer." What better way to reaffirm your testimony or gain one anew than to read it in celebration of President Hinckley's life?

A website has been created by those who had this idea, and already more than 31,000 people have joined in. I've decided to accept the challenge and read The Book of Mormon again with 'reverence, respect, and prayer' as President Hinckley counseled, though I need to get going if I'm going to stay with the group because now there's only 78 days left!

If you are interested in finding out more about the challenge or The Book of Mormon itself, here are some helpful links...

Hinckley Challenge website
The Book of Mormon for easy internet reading : ).

I'm not sure how many people read this, but I do know that not everyone is of the same faith as me. The idea of this blessing blog is not to boast about my church or my specific beliefs, but to open my eyes (and others' too) to the miracles and the blessings and the happiness that are all around us. The Lord is kind, and sometimes we just have to look to see His presence in our lives amidst the chaos that also abounds. I hope this blog in some small way can help us all do that.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

I just thought I'd let you know about another great site for reading scriptures. It's readthescriptures.com, and it's great because you can put in your time frame, and it'll email you the chapters you need to read to stay on schedule.