Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Little Less Fear & A Little More Faith

For quite some time now I have been trying to exemplify the virtue of living by faith and not by fear. It is a theme that is incorporated into my personal mission statement, but yet still seem to struggle with daily. I think there's good reason for it to be hard- fear is harbored by the devil and there is so much evil in the world today that it's easy to succumb to negative thoughts- and once way is given for even a small fear, he is quick to capitalize on it and keep it going. Sometimes I feel that it is hard to rely on faith alone, but that is probably just because I need more of it.

Tonight a winter storm moved in rather quickly as Drew left for his weekly meetings at church. In my weakness, I let my imagination run wild of the horrible accidents he could have and the tragedy that would befall my life and on and on. After a few minutes in a panic, I realized how foolish this really was and how easily I sometimes fall into Satan's traps. I said a quick prayer of faith and asked for forgiveness and almost instantly my mind was at peace. I knew that everything would be okay--not necessarily that everything would always be fine and no tragedy would ever cross my path, but that everything would be okay because the Lord has a plan for me and, even in hardships if I just submit my will to His, then I will be okay.

That was an interesting thought that came to my mind, and I think sometimes my faith is misconstrued to the hopeful, 'everything will turn out just the way I want it', when really true faith is acknowledging that I trust Heavenly Father so much that I will always rely on Him, even if things don't turn out the way I had planned. I remember learning that the best gift we can lay upon the altar of the Lord is our will...giving our will to become His. I feel very blessed this day to be reminded of how powerful our faith can really be, and how it's not that hard to have a little less fear and a little more faith.

No comments: