Today my Dad and I went on a run together. It was so nice to be together doing something we both enjoy... even if it wears us out : ). My Dad has always been such an example to me and one of my life heroes. Today I just feel very blessed to have him as my dad and to be so close that we can enjoy simple acts together.
One thing I remember my Dad teaching was that if it's important to me, it's important to him. This has always stuck with me, especially as I have kids of my own, and I realize how basically that just reaffirms how important I am to him; that even if I'm excited about something that would otherwise bore him to tears, he will be excited right along with me because he not only wants me to have joy, but he wants to be right there, involved in my joy.
As we were running and talking about different things it was clear that this was true for all of my siblings and I found myself thinking about how much our Heavenly Father cares for each of His children individually and how I need to really appreciate my girls as individuals as well as sisters. I guess today I just feel very blessed to have such a great Dad, and to share my interests with him.
Just one example of this is when my Dad started karate years ago with me because he wanted to be involved in something that I wanted to do. One year ago this weekend he received his black belt because he stuck with something that originated out of one of the interests of his children. I am so proud of my Dad, both for earning his black belt and for taking an interest in one of my interests- and by doing so, in me- years ago and sticking with both. I love my Daddio.
One thing I remember my Dad teaching was that if it's important to me, it's important to him. This has always stuck with me, especially as I have kids of my own, and I realize how basically that just reaffirms how important I am to him; that even if I'm excited about something that would otherwise bore him to tears, he will be excited right along with me because he not only wants me to have joy, but he wants to be right there, involved in my joy.
As we were running and talking about different things it was clear that this was true for all of my siblings and I found myself thinking about how much our Heavenly Father cares for each of His children individually and how I need to really appreciate my girls as individuals as well as sisters. I guess today I just feel very blessed to have such a great Dad, and to share my interests with him.
Just one example of this is when my Dad started karate years ago with me because he wanted to be involved in something that I wanted to do. One year ago this weekend he received his black belt because he stuck with something that originated out of one of the interests of his children. I am so proud of my Dad, both for earning his black belt and for taking an interest in one of my interests- and by doing so, in me- years ago and sticking with both. I love my Daddio.
No comments:
Post a Comment