Today we took Abbie to her fifth swim lesson class. So far, she has not been doing very well- she won't sit in the gutter with the other kids or swim with the teachers or really have anything to do with the class. She loves the water and she loves swimming, but she's been having a hard time adjusting to the new social setting and finding her place. When we ask her what's wrong, she'll often just say, "I'm Shy Girl." She says it like it's a whole new personality that she takes on, so before class today we talked about being a Brave Girl instead and swimming with the teachers. She insisted that she was scared and wanted to be shy. I felt prompted that we should say a prayer, so I told her that if we have faith and ask Heavenly Father that He can help us do anything- even be brave when we tend to be shy. We said the prayer and I told her to trust Heavenly Father and she would be able to be brave.
Swim class was amazing. I wish I had my camcorder, but I know I'll never forget it anyways. Abbie was shy for the first few minutes, but eventually she went to the gutter and swam with her teacher. During her first swim with the teacher, all the parents on the bleachers were clapping and cheering for her and she had the biggest smile on her face and was truly having fun. I felt so happy and blessed. Not even for the fact that she was finally swimming, but because Heavenly Father had answered our prayer, and that she can look to this experience and have her faith start to sprout as she learns to rely more and more on Him throughout her life.
From then on, all she wanted to do was swim with her teacher. She was so excited, and brave, and I know that on Wednesday that she will do even better and swim with both teachers and sit with the class for the whole session. I am so grateful for Abigail. I am so grateful for this opportunity to teach her about prayer and about faith, and I am so grateful that her prayer was answered.
No comments:
Post a Comment