Monday, September 22, 2008

A Good Girl Morning

Mondays are our busiest days, so they have the potential to be the best or the worst. And today was definitely one of the best! Right when I went in to tell the girls good morning I was excited for the day. They just seemed to be so happy and in a good mood. Abigail, especially just seemed to be so good all morning and I was really looking forward to the adventures of our busy day when it came time to head out the door. This was really a blessing, and even that little change changed me and my behavior and I found myself being more patient the few times when Abbie made mistakes and anxious to help her keep her good roll for the day going.

It made me wonder what affected the other more; it almost seemed like her being good made me more patient so it she was still 'good' when otherwise I might have thought she was being bad. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but I guess I realized that my mood towards her behavior affected how I perceived the behavior, and I hope that I can just be more positive and patient in the future to keep my view of her 'good days' coming.

I also noticed how this was so evident right from the first "good mornings" I gave the girls. This morning I got up with Drew and was showered, dressed, had makeup done, and had read my scriptures before the girls woke up. Correlation?

I'll have to try this again tomorrow and see if it holds true : ).

1 comment:

Melissa said...

"my mood towards her behavior affected how I perceived the behavior"

This is so true! I think about this a lot with teaching. My mood for the day, and what I've done to personally prepare myself, definitely influences how I view the students' actions throughout the day. That's why morning scripture study is so important for me--it gets me to a good place so that I'm ready to take on the day.

Yay for mornings--up and showered and ready to go!
Let me know how your experiment goes :)