Saturday, October 25, 2008

My Grandpa's Memorial

Today was my Grandpa's Memorial service. I had a much harder time emotionally than I predicted right after he passed away and today it seemed to hit me all over again. During the service I was feeling particularly sad and just missing him so much and I kept trying to get myself to focus on the positives but nothing seemed to be working. Then, as we were singing a hymn this bright ray of light just shone in from the side windows right on me. And it was exactly what I needed. It was a blessing to me; it was like the heavens were just a little bit closer and a little bit brighter and someone was sending me a big, light-filled hug to let me know that everything really was okay. And it is.

The whole service was so beautiful. Drew spoke and my cousin Erin played her flute and then Melissa gave the most beautiful eulogy that just sealed my positive outlook. I thought I'd share a part of her eulogy, which was especially touching and is really applicable to all in this situation. This whole day really was a blessing for me, to help me through my grieving process and to celebrate the beautiful plan of happiness that we are all apart of.

Here's the excerpt she quoted:

In a beautiful lagoon one clear day, a fine sailing ship spreads brilliant, white canvass in a fresh morning breeze and sails smartly out to sea. We watch it slide away magnificently through the deep blue and gradually see her grow smaller and smaller as she nears the horizon. Finally, where the sea meets the sky, she slips silently from our sight. And someone standing near whispers, “There, she is gone.” Gone? Gone where? Gone from sight; that is all. She is still as large in mast and hull… She is still as able to carry her load. Still sails with that brilliant, white canvass full of the fresh morning breeze. And we can be sure that just as we say, “There, she is gone.”, there are others beyond the horizon who are shouting, “There! There she comes!”

No comments: