Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Return of Motivation

Today I am grateful for motivation, or at least for me to be once again motivated. Earlier in life I was so motivated, so competitive, and so ambitious. I don't know if these are necessarily all strengths, as I think there needs to be a balance, but I've recently been struggling with a lack of motivation to get myself up and going in the morning and the ambition to set and achieve the goals that I want to accomplish, and it is a blessing to be motivated again.

I think the change happened after I became a mom. Suddenly, winning games and being super competitive seemed so insignificant compared to the greater work of raising a child. I was looking over some of my high school journal entries and it was clear how ambitious and competitive I was then- every entry had to do with my upcoming game or meet, my goals, and how my training was going and how I was improving or not. I realize that this is a different season in my life and I still think that being a mom is probably my most important role at this time, but I think being motivated and ambitious in life is something that I want to model for my children and not just lazily let life pass me by. I guess I want to recapture some of the fire and drive that I use to have and apply to different goals that I have for myself and my family.

This may seem really nerdy, but I was honestly inspired by the 'soccer mom' who won American Gladiators. I think she was a great example to her girls of setting goals and working hard to meet them. Now, I'm not saying I want to be a gladiator, but I do want to be motivated to accomplish some of the things that I want, and I want my children to do the same. Sometimes I feel like I've had the perspective that my girls are holding me back, but now I realize that they can be my motivation and wanting to be the best mom and all around person for them can become the reason to do the things I want to do.

I am grateful for the Lord's kindness and patience in my realization of this and for the extra nudge this morning to get up and get going. I am reminded of the phrase "Mind over Mattress," and that's something that I had mastered when I was training for my marathon, but has been long gone ever since. I hope to recapture the motivation and drive of my younger years and apply them to my ambitions of today and tomorrow.

No comments: