Monday, February 11, 2008

A Year in Review

Today, the girls and I went to one of our weekly library classes and I was very reminiscent of a similar scene one year ago. Today, the librarian read Valentine stories to the children, just as she did one year ago when Abigail and I attended our first library class here in Shelton. It made me just reflect over what a year this has been and how much we've been blessed in such a short time. This time last year was one of the most stressful times of my life- Abbie and I had moved up to Shelton while Drew was finishing up work in Klamath Falls before taking a new job here; we were living with my parents while our house wasn't selling in Oregon; Lauren's diagnosis was worse than we expected and we were really nervous about what to expect; my grandpa's health had taken a turn for the worse; and I was just big and pregnant and miserable.

I was looking back over my journal from that time, and it is interesting to see the changes that occur as we let the Lord help shape our futures here. These are a few excerpts that show some of my struggles and transitions:

Jan. 29th
"....I love the scripture in Isaiah 55, where it says the Lord's ways are higher than our ways, but I love it most when I look back on events in my life and have seen how my meager plans were not right for me at all and the Lord's way was. Somehow, though, when I'm in the thick of a trial and can't see the end when it will all have worked itself out, it is much harder to appreciate that the Lord's ways are higher and not just be for what I think is best. I just pray that I have the faith and endurance to persevere to the point where I will be able to look back and see how blessed I was...."

Feb. 8th
"....I think I've reached my limit- I actually thought I already had, but apparently that was not the case. I'm really trying to stay strong and positive, but honestly sometimes it seems like I just need to have a breakdown to signify that this is all I can handle...."

Feb. 17th
".....The term walk by faith has been gaining a lot of meaning to me and I really feel like we've been taking those few steps into the dark- knowing there's light ahead, but not knowing when or how we'll get to it- just that we will and that we won't be alone along the way...."

Today, reflecting on a time only one year ago, I feel so blessed to be blessed so much. The Lord's ways are higher than our ways. We did make it through- our house sold and closed on time, we were able to move into a new, nicer house right after, Drew's job transition went great, living with my parents for a short time was such a blessing- my whole family was such a great help with Abbie and little Lauren, and finally- Lauren. Sweet Lauren, whom I can't imagine our lives without. "What a big miracle for such a little girl;" and she truly is such a big miracle and a blessing in our lives.

I guess today I was just nudged to remember how blessed we've been this last year. Not that it was all easy along the way, in fact- it is due to the fact that it was not that I'm so moved to remember the trials and triumphs of this past year. I am blessed to be at the point that I mentioned in a journal entry where I truly can look back and see how blessed I was during that rough time of my life, and acknowledge that I wasn't alone during any of it.

One of my purposes of this blog is to remember. To remember on a day to day basis where my blessings come from. To remember over lengths of time how my faith has prevailed. To remember that life is hard, but it is always, always worth it.

No comments: