Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Forgiveness

Today was a great, fun-filled day. Our friends, Katie, Megan and Daniel, came up for the day and we just played and played the hours away. There are many things that their visit causes me to be grateful for, but the one that I feel most strongly about is that of forgiveness.

Little Abbie and Megan have been little best friends since they first met. It has been such a blessing to stay close to them and let them continue to play and see each other as they grow. For such best friends though, these almost three-year olds can sometimes sure fight. Abbie is similar in this way with several other of her little friends, but today with Megan I just noticed how they would squabble over this or that and really nothing at all, but then almost instantly forgive the other and move on to the next activity. I think it's that 'childlike' behavior that the Savior asked us to emulate... not the rascally squabbling over who gets what toy, but the immediate and unconditional forgiveness that follows. It is quite sweet actually and I wonder when, in our journey from childhood to adult we begin to save our forgiveness for only those who apologize first or deserve it etc and hold on instead to grudges and bitter attitudes. I feel blessed today for the sweet examples of two of my favorite girls and their quick and constant forgiveness to the other. I am grateful for the forgiveness that comes from my Father in Heaven, and how He probably relates me to these sweet two-year olds as I also squabble in life with little mistake after mistake, and He so quickly forgives. I hope to be more forgiving myself, and think of it as an automatic consequence, not a reward that must be earned from another.

No comments: