I've been thinking today about how sometimes we need help and how we need to be the ones to ask for it from the Lord. Today I painted the girls' room- hooray!- and I realized how I sometimes like to think that people are mind-readers and can know exactly what I'm thinking or wanting them to do. I think that probably a lot of women feel this way, especially towards men, and today I was no different. I had taken down some different things from the walls in the girls' room to prep it for painting and was just waiting for Drew to putty in some of the holes so I could get painting. Of course, did I communicate this?...no, I just assumed it was obvious and he could read my mind.
Well, I really wanted to get painting and since Drew hadn't magically read my mind, I went ahead and puttied the holes myself, and went on painting. There are a few things I learned from this...1) I can not putty or fill in holes worth anything- I actually let Abbie even help me on a few of the low ones and honestly she probably did better than I did...2)Drew would have done far better had I just asked him... and 3) I'm the one that should have asked!
I was thinking about this as I continued painting and how I was hoping that Lauren would just keep napping so I could finish another wall, when I realized I was doing the same thing again! Even though Heavenly Father can technically read our minds and knows our thoughts, He still expects us to ask and then receive. He gives us the choice to act...that's one of the reasons to even be here- to act and choose for ourselves- and then once we act, then He will as well. The scripture, "Knock and it shall be opened unto you" comes to mind, and I think I sometimes fall victim to just knowing that Heavenly Father knows my wants and needs so I don't need to ask, but today I was reminded that that responsibility is still with me. Instead of just hoping that Lauren would take a long nap, I said a prayer asking for that specifically and my prayer was answered- I finished the whole room and cleaned the painting supplies before she woke up.
I am grateful to have a Heavenly Father that knows me; I am also grateful that He lets us act for ourselves; and I am especially grateful for His kindness.
Well, I really wanted to get painting and since Drew hadn't magically read my mind, I went ahead and puttied the holes myself, and went on painting. There are a few things I learned from this...1) I can not putty or fill in holes worth anything- I actually let Abbie even help me on a few of the low ones and honestly she probably did better than I did...2)Drew would have done far better had I just asked him... and 3) I'm the one that should have asked!
I was thinking about this as I continued painting and how I was hoping that Lauren would just keep napping so I could finish another wall, when I realized I was doing the same thing again! Even though Heavenly Father can technically read our minds and knows our thoughts, He still expects us to ask and then receive. He gives us the choice to act...that's one of the reasons to even be here- to act and choose for ourselves- and then once we act, then He will as well. The scripture, "Knock and it shall be opened unto you" comes to mind, and I think I sometimes fall victim to just knowing that Heavenly Father knows my wants and needs so I don't need to ask, but today I was reminded that that responsibility is still with me. Instead of just hoping that Lauren would take a long nap, I said a prayer asking for that specifically and my prayer was answered- I finished the whole room and cleaned the painting supplies before she woke up.
I am grateful to have a Heavenly Father that knows me; I am also grateful that He lets us act for ourselves; and I am especially grateful for His kindness.
No comments:
Post a Comment