Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Birthday Party

Today was Abigail's birthday party and I have so many things to be grateful for. This whole day has been such a blessing and a great memory in the making.

I feel grateful for the nice weather- that brightened the day and mood, that let the kids all play outside, and just made the day that much more special for Abbie.

I am grateful for so much help. I must say that I stayed pretty stress free getting ready for the party because of all of the help that was given. I have definitely gotten better at delegating over the years, and I really needed it today, because there was no way I could have done everything my self (which is what I used to think I had to always do). Jenna and Kevan were such great helpers even while they were visiting and playing with kids. Jill started helping from the moment she arrived, and Drew pulled through as my knight in shining armor once again, doing all of the random tasks I asked of him.

I am blessed for all of Abbie's friends that could come. As more and more friends and family were unavailable I wasn't sure how many could make it and how much fun Abbie would have when she hoped her friends could come. But, many were able to come- some who even altered their plans or made it work with their schedule, and I am so grateful for that. I really think it ended up being just the perfect amount, and it was so cool to look out and see so many kids having fun in the play area and just having a good time.

I am grateful for Abigail. This party and day were really all about her and celebrating her and I think that she really felt that. Abbie loves singing Happy Birthday to herself- all year round. And she loves making birthday cakes out of legos or blocks or whatever she can imagine and so today, in celebration of her and her birthday it was so neat to see her sing to herself with friends and family gathered around and know that this was the real deal. She was so happy. As we sang Happy Birthday and she was singing to herself, I just felt extremely overwhelmed with love for her and the brightness that she adds to our life. She's sometimes a little spitfire, but we love her so much and it was so gratifying to see her be so happy. I think this was definitely one of those moments of joy that I wrote about a few weeks ago. I think I will remember it forever. We love you Abbie, you are such a blessing to us!

No comments: