Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Helping Books

Today I feel very blessed to have a lot of my parenting beliefs and values reaffirmed through books that I love. This is probably really nerdy, but it really helps me solidify what I am doing and have more of a parenting plan, then just reacting to situations as they come. I love the Baby Wise books. A friend of mine recommended them to me when I was a new mom and they were definitely a blessing to me then, just as they are to me now. Drew mentions that a lot of what is discussed is just common parenting sense, but somehow it just really helps me to see it in print and to read it and have that resource available to me. I know that people are different and parenting styles are different, but for me, this has been a huge help and a huge blessing. Tonight as I was reading I found some of the answers that I've been struggling with for Abbie and I round reassurance that I was doing lots of things right (yeah!) because sometimes it is just overwhelming and I wonder if I am. I'm on the fourth book in the sequence, (reading each as Abbie progresses and rereading with Lauren) 'On Becoming Preschool Wise' and I've had it on my nightstand so I can read when I have time. Today Abbie picked it up and asked if she could read it... I thought that was pretty funny and snapped a quick picture. I am grateful that we live in an information age- where information is available on almost anything and is so accessible. I'm grateful for the help that we can find for different troubles, and I am blessed that I can discern what's right for our family.

No comments: